When it comes to selecting a DJ for your wedding, corporate / private party or Bar/Bat Mitzvah there are so many different companies to choose from. It can be a very daunting and overwhelming process. Do you know the difference between a Professional DJ and a non Professional DJ? Maybe it’s not a concern to you if the DJ is professional? I’m guessing though, that you do care if the company you’re considering hiring is going to deliver the service their promising? In this blog I will addressing the differences between a non professional DJ and a Professional DJ. My hope is to educate you about the DJ industry. I will also give you very important tips on how to choose a Professional DJ.
A non Professional DJ is someone who shows up at your event dressed casual or even in Tye Dye with a non -chalant attitude. They think they’re there to put on a show. The music is very loud all the time. Their equipment will probably be of very low standards. The speakers will be hanging from poles with wires dangling every where adding to a very cluttered “DJ booth”. The non Professional DJ will not be organized because they don’t have a written Timeline to follow. Which can lead to problems like mispronouncing the bride and grooms names during introductions. Or they leave the guests of honor wondering when, if ever, are the toasts going to take place. There are so many irreplaceable moments during a reception; if its announced that its time for speeches or first dances and very special people are not present, that moment is lost forever. What if the wrong song is played for your first dance? Or the DJ makes comments about your guests over the microphone? The nightmare goes on and on. If you think all of this is an exaggeration it’s not. The information I have given you comes from venue management, planners and from general conversation about DJ’s.
So what does it mean to be a Professional DJ? Quality service and personal attention are the first things that come to mind. A true Professional is one that will go above and beyond for their client. They will arrive at your event early dressed in a suit not Tye dye! With an attitude of confidence, concern and passion for making a great party. A Professional DJ will know how to play appropriate music at an appropriate level that keeps everyone on the dance floor. A Professional DJ will spend time meeting with you face to face, three to four hours organizing a Timeline and working on music and rehearsing pronunciation of names for introductions. Your DJ will be aware of what’s going on around her/him as to not start the first dance if the bride’s father is out of the room. Or the photographer is not in the room. A Professional DJ will put your mind at ease so you can take your shoes off and have fun!
Here are a few tips on how to choose a Professional DJ;
1. When speaking to a DJ company, only speak to the person that will be the DJ at your event. Talking directly to the DJ you’re considering hiring is the only way to get a “feel” for if this person is right for you or not.
2. Ask your hired Event Planner for recommendations. You have hired this person because of their knowledge in the event industry. Their opinion is trusted otherwise you would not have hired them.
3. Ask for references. Anyone in any business who is hesitant to give a reference warrants a red flag!
4. Ask about how they dress. Do they drink alcohol on the job? How many breaks do they take?
5. Ask if they follow a written Timeline. Timeline’s are key to being organized. Timeline’s are key in putting your mind at ease.
6. Ask about how they perceive your involvement with the music. Your gonna want to pick music. Maybe you have a Do Not Play list, will they adhere to your requests?
7. Ask for specifics about their equipment. I have heard of DJ’s showing up with speakers from their house!
I know their are some people who just want someone to show up and play music. Having a Professional DJ may not be at the top of your priority list. I’m hoping that after reading this blog you have changed your mind about that. After all the DJ plays a huge roll in any event. Wither its a birthday party or a wedding reception its a once in a lifetime event. Why not have the best? Once you’ve hired a Professional DJ the daunting overwhelming feelings will disappear!
DJ Paula Warnick – DJ/Owner